[OM] Re: E10 mini-usb connector ?

Subject: [OM] Re: E10 mini-usb connector ?
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:02:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, iddi wrote:

> I've used Powershot S110/200/330 A75/510 and they've all fit the same
> cable I have, the mini-B USB. All 1.1.

According to www.usb.org:

   Mini A Connectors are not permitted per the specification. The On-The-Go
   Supplement to the USB 2.0 Specification does not allow the use of mini-A
   receptacles for anything except an adapter as outlined in Section 3.8
   Connectors. The mini-AB receptacle is not permitted on any device except
   OTG. An On-The-Go device by definition has a mini AB receptacle. Mini B
   connectors are not limited to On-The-Go devices and are used on On-The-Go
   and non On-The-Go devices.

So it looks like the mini-a is banished by the USB 2.0 spec and I guess any
equipment using them is a hold over from the pre-2.0 spec days.
                                        -mark