[OM] [Re: Curmudgeon Disorder - it's a legitimate condition!

Subject: [OM] [Re: Curmudgeon Disorder - it's a legitimate condition!
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:07:14 +1200
As discussed by Andrew & Walt

> Just listening to one Associate Professor or Psychology Bill van
> Hippel of the University of New South Wales - he's been researching
> the causes of mature onset frankness. It's caused, apparently by the
> slight atrophy of the pre-frontal lobes in age leading to decreased
> inhibition (reduced tact) in the elderly without affecting
> intelligence. He is interested in the embarassment factor of over
> 65's but an argument could be made I'm sure for early onset 'I don't
> give a shit what anyone thinks' curmudgeonness.
> Hey, now we can form a self-help group and seek government funding!
> Not that I'd want to join a group full of opinionated old farts.
> AndrewF

I've wondered about this too.  I reckon it is due mainly to a combination of
things that all add up to "I've got nothing to lose now that matters, so I can
speak my mind" plus, now being over 65, I think I see the crux of an
argument more quickly and more clearly than at any previous time.

What don't I have to consider that no longer matters?
I don't have a boss, so I can't be fired (that is a GREAT position to be in).
Women are no longer important to me, so I don't have to impress.

On the other hand, I find that on occasion I can write out a pithy short note
that people (such as newspaper editors) like. I never could before. And now
people ask me to help on committees and like what I do, so I have to
consider responsibility there. I thought I'd got rid of responsibilities.

Brian