[OM] Re: Taking photos in rainy, wet weather

Subject: [OM] Re: Taking photos in rainy, wet weather
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:45:22 -0300
On 9/21/05, Jerry Smith <proud_texan63@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    Hello,
>
>  Mostly lurking here now, came up for a quick breathe. I was wondering what
> the best, different ways, to try to waterproof your camera and gear in rainy,
> wet conditions? Conditions could be from a mist to hurracane force rain. Tia
> for all your help. Going back under now...

Aside from AG's recomendations I've used a ziploc bag (or similar
non-trademarked resealable plastic bag product) in the past. Put body
with lens into bag. Start to screw a filter onto the lens from the
outside of the bag, this will mark where the lens goes and the size of
the opening. Remove the camera from the bag and cut out the circle
you've marked. Cut in the inside of the line leaving some excess. Put
camera back in bag, position lens at the opening you cut and screw the
filter back on, the excess you left should hold the bag in place.

If you're using an automatic camera with buttons you can seal up the
bag and operate the camera throug the plastic. For a manual camera you
can open up the bag and operate it but then the shower cap trick
probably makes more sense. The ziploc solution is great for doing a
pretty decent job of sealing up the camera but it's really only good
for if all the lenses you're going to use take the same size filter
(but you're not too likely to change lenses in really driving wind).