[OM] Re: Taking photos in rainy, wet weather

Subject: [OM] Re: Taking photos in rainy, wet weather
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:47:50 -0500
Jerry Smith wrote:
>    Hello,
>
>  Mostly lurking here now, came up for a quick breathe. I was wondering what
> the best, different ways, to try to waterproof your camera and gear in rainy,
> wet conditions? Conditions could be from a mist to hurracane force rain. Tia
> for all your help. Going back under now...
>
> Jerry

Jerry,
Use what others have mentioned for protecting the camera gear from the
precipitation.

The other problem is protecting yourself!

In the DFW area the winds should have disspiated considerably . . . but
. . . have you ever tried to hold your ground in gale force wind?  Have
you ever had to bob and weave to dodge debris being blown around by it
at the same time?  Think carefully before exposing yourself outside to
high winds as to how and where you want to do it and have a safe place
you can duck back into easily and quickly.

Holding your ground is only part of the problem.  It's the 8 inch tree
limb that weighs a quarter ton dropping 32 feet per second squared plus
wind induced lateral motion, or a large piece of plywood from someone's
roof, or a power line coming down that can ruin your day.  I've been
caught out in very severe weather with gale to hurricane winds both
mountain climbing and during field operations when I wore OD green for a
living.  Just a few hours of it wasn't much fun.  Power lines and tree
limbs rarely give any warning before coming down.  Be very, very careful
and remain keenly aware of what's going on around you (and what can
potentially fall on you) at all times.  You want to live to tell the tale.

-- John