[OM] Re: Indian flash slaves - where's Tim?

Subject: [OM] Re: Indian flash slaves - where's Tim?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:06:53 -0700
I found my multimeter and about five minutes of probing seems to imply the
diodes are there so that three DIFFERENT positive polarity strobes could be
triggered by the photosensor. Each of the two ports and the hot shoe itself
has a diode connected so that the photosensor could ground a positive
voltage.

Without the diodes if the ungrounded voltages of the strobes were different
current would flow from one strobe to the other with perhaps very unwanted
results.

I doubt (but don't know) that Olympus would change from what must be a
positive T32 to a negative F280. So Tim's guess that the voltage drop of the
diode prevents the F280 from tripping is still the best theory.

If you have a negative polarity strobe you could modify the shoe to short
out the diodes but you better be very careful hooking up more than one
strobe to the shoe adapter.

-jeff