[OM] Re: Thanks to all who have expressed concern & we are out of here!

Subject: [OM] Re: Thanks to all who have expressed concern & we are out of here!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:16:17 -0400
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Well, we are leaving and headed to higher ground in San Marcos, which is
> situated between San Antonio and Austin.  It will be this afternoon or
> evening,
> however all the major highways will be one out of town by then which  should
> help.  Intuition and a great deal of advice from folks on this list  have led
> to this decision.  Keeps the folks on the Gulf Coast in your  thoughts and
> prayers.  Bill Barber

You didn't say where you're going but I hope it is to friends or
relatives or someplace where you can stay a couple of weeks if
necessary.  In my admonitions against staying I forgot to mention that
all of the electricity is likely to be out for weeks and you will not be
able to buy food, gas, or water for an extended period.  Even if there
is gas in the tanks of the local stations they won't have any power to
pump it.  Water may be simply unavailable or polluted.  Streets and
highways that survive will be unpassable for days (at least) until crews
and local residents clear the debris with chainsaws and front end loaders.

When you finally return and even if your house is spared you may have a
difficult time finding it.  Street and traffic signs may be totally
obliterated and familiar landmarks may have been destroyed.  After
Andrew there were many people who had a difficult time finding their
homes even when close to their own neighborhoods. They could not
recognize where they were.  Got a GPS?

Deciding to leave is the right choice.  God speed and send us a mail as
soon as you can.

Chuck Norcutt