[OM] Still in Sugar Land

Subject: [OM] Still in Sugar Land
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:35:49 EDT
In a message dated 9/23/2005 7:05:13 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
GMcGrath@xxxxxxx writes:

Like  you, I wonder if Bill was able to get out. My sister and her family
live in Kingwood, on the northeast side of Houston, and had to turn back  and
go
home after being on the road for several hours and only going  about 20 miles.

Due to a number of reasons we are still in Sugar Land, with our home and  our
business prepared for the storm.  The traffic has been unbelievable. I
talked to a cousin last night who has a place in Flatonia and lives a block off

Interstate 10. What would have been an hour and a half drive took him 16
hours.
 Our neighbor left about 9:30 yesterday morning and almost made it  across
town when the transmission went out in her 3 year old car.  She got  towed home
and got there about 8 PM last night.

On Tuesday it was almost impossible to get D batteries and there was no
bottled water to found.  Wednesday it took 7 or 8 stops to find  gasoline.  One
place I started filling up and the pump turned off after  $2.71 as it went dry.
I did finally get a full tank.  Our daughter and  son-in-law weren't able to
find gas at all for his government vehicle and the  hotel in Dallas would not
hold his room past 6 AM, which I understand.   They would never had made it to
Dallas by 6 AM.

Unlike New Orleans, IMHO, we did not, in Texas, have anyone doing anything
other than trying to get people out of town, so we were spared what looked like
 political turf battles leading up to this storm.  I'm sure there were be
criticism of how this evacuation was done by the Monday morning  quarterbacks,
however as one in the midst of it, although a PITA, it seems to be  going
pretty darn smoothly.  There have been evacuees going through Sugar  Land for
the
past three days on both Highway 6 and 90A and it has been both  orderly and
slow.

Were we sit now is that we will probably stay here through the  storm.  A
break may come and we may leave, however it looks like we  will be riding this
one out.  This was not my first choice, however it is  the one we have made.
I'll let you know how it goes.  Bill  Barber