[OM] Re: Vivitar Series 1 lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Vivitar Series 1 lenses
From: "om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:13:27 -0400
I had and sold both of those lenses about three years ago with a S1 200/3.
I also followed them for a while on Ebay, which is really the best place to
gauge prices.

I'd imagine you could get $75-125 for nice examples, a bit more with cases,
box, etc or in truely mint shape.  Less if the diaphragm's need work or the
lenses are well worn.  OM mounts may bring a little more than other, more
common mounts.

IMO, the lenses were all nice, but weighed a ton.  I didn't find the 1/2
stop of them vs. their Zuiko counterparts worth the huge weight penalty vs.
Zuikos; and their wide-open performance was OK, but nothing more than you'd
expect of a late 70's design.  That said, they were much better than almost
everthing else from third-party makers of the time.  IMO, the 200/3 was
superceeded by the Tamron 180/2.5 IF-SP, which is a superior lens.  There
were many other 135/2.8's, but very few faster, and the other, faster 135's
like the Cambron f/1.9 (?), were mediocre, IME.

Skip