[OM] Re: [OT] Re: Still in Sugar Land

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Re: Still in Sugar Land
From: "Geilfuss Charles" <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:32:31 -0500

        You've obviously never left Disney World at 10pm after the fireworks.
Trains backup too. We had the exact same problem in SC when Hurricane Floyd
threatened in 1996 (I think). The Charleston area has about 750K people and
when they all tried to leave at the same time I-26 going northwest looked like
a parking lot for about 24 hrs. We were spared the storm but the politicians
about drowned when the brown stuff hit the fan. Since then the State invested
about $2 million to construct train crossing arms on all the Interstate exits
and more importantly purchased a dedicated communication system that allows
State, County and Municipal police to talk with each other. They came up with a
plan to shut all the on-ramps on the east bound lanes and divert all lanes of
I-26 to go north-west. AND they actually practice doing it once or twice a
year. Ain't hindsight great.

Charlie