[OM] Re: Latitude of exposure with an E-thing + OM content

Subject: [OM] Re: Latitude of exposure with an E-thing + OM content
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:48:06 +1200
Moose wrote

> If you want to talk about the exposure latitude of any digicam that will
> produce RAW or TIFF image files, you cannot use JPEGs for meaningful
> evaluation. JPEGs do two kinds of compression for these cameras. The one
> we are concerned with here is in brightness information. JPEGs are
> limited to 8 bits of brightness data per color per pixel. Most DSLRs
> produce 12 bits. (The E-1 produces 14 bits, but it doesn't appear to
> actually output any greater latitude than others.)
>
> So you have a situation a bit like hooking up your garden hose to a fire
> hydrant or a water main. No matter how much the source is capable of
> delivering, no more comes out of the hose. Your E-1 is capable of
> producing quite a broad latitude. But when it outputs JPEGs, it has to
> figure out how to compress 4,096 (12 bits) or 16,384 (14 bits) of
> brightness values into the 256 values that 8 bits in a JPEG allows.

Well and good; however, if I want to produce prints from the digital
information (and I usually do if I want to share them around), I have to feed
the picture machine *jpegs* anyway.

So does it matter what format I start out with?

OM content; this should be of interest to those scanning OM film as well.

Brian