[OM] Re: TTL fill-in flash for OM

Subject: [OM] Re: TTL fill-in flash for OM
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:57:44 -0400
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:

> Adam, Chuck, Ling, all...
>
> Well I find this an interesting on topic thread.
> In fact I was going to write Chuck offlist, but last night decided to read
> first my two T-32 manuals.
> Perhaps Adam could tell which discussion in the archives would arise a
> dejá-vu / dejá veçu experience. It would be quite helpful, the archives are
> usually difficult to dig.
-----------------------------------

I'm afraid you wouldn't have gotten much from me on the subject of TTL
fill flash.  I kept John Lind's note on the subject from years ago and
dutifully dredged it up and reposted it but I've never tried it.

When doing fill flash I always use the flash in auto mode and just
twiddle the ISO dial on the flash.  It's easy and I find that the flash
sensor does a good job of controlling the light.

It's different, however, when I'm inside in house sized rooms and the
flash is the main light.  Then I use a BG-2 with T-32 and another T-32
or Vivitar 550 FD in the hotshoe.  I swivel the T-32 on the BG-2 to
bounce off the walls and provide room light.  Then it's necessary to use
TTL since the T-32's  auto sensor is not pointed at the subject when the
head is swiveled on the BG-2.

With the Minolta A1 I use the same basic dual flash arrangment if I'm
indoors.  There I use a Sunpak 522 handle mount flash with a Sunpak 422
in the hotshoe.  Since these aren't TTL on the A1 I use them in normal
auto mode and adjust flash output using the histogram for feedback.

Chuck Norcutt