[OM] Re: lenses and AF

Subject: [OM] Re: lenses and AF
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:09:49 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>Both Canon and to a lesser extent Nikon still have problems with AF.
>
>AF has gotten better in some ways but is incredibly complicated as I
>understand it. Some cameras have a dozen or so AF points that provide
>data and some sort of complicated algorithm is needed to select among
>them and hopefully it will be the one you wanted.

Based on my experience with the 300D, most of the problem is with the
multipoint business. It didn't take me long to decide to set it to
center focus point only. That cured a lot of problems for me and the
camera is in that mode almost all the time. I know there are potential
parallax problems with "focus, then frame", but at least I know what
they are and can make conscious decisions about them.

Also, when in no hurry, most of my shots, with something complex and 3D,
mostly close up/macro, I find that moving the focus point little bits
and viewing the focus of the results in the viewfinder can often find
just the right point. Occasionally, I go manual with focus with the AF
lenses, but don't find it necessary very often..

>Not only that it has to be able to gauge a changing focus for moving objects
>and
>predict where they will be when the shutter operates.

Surely that qualifies as a second, higher level of function. Never have
tried that myself, at least that I know of.

Moose