[OM] Flash connectors question

Subject: [OM] Flash connectors question
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:29:51 -0600
  What is the use of a PC connector for flashes? My OMs and the E-1 have
a PC connector on the side to connect non-dedicated flashes to -- fair
enough, but which _flashes_ have PC connectors on them?

  T32? nope. T20? Nope. FL-50? nope. Miranda "OM dedicated"? nope.
Sunpak "OM dedicated"? nope. The only flash I own that _does_ have a PC
socket (I think) is the Nikon SB-22 I got to go with my Coolpix..

  Maybe I'm just missing something, but what's the PC connector good
for? Is it only intended for great big studio lights or something? I was
expecting that I'd be able to use that as a way of getting off-camera
flash -- I'd have to set all the exposure/flash up by hand because all
it would do is trigger the flash, not TTL it or anything -- but I can't
even _trigger_ the flash that way.

  Poking around on e*ay, is 7522871541(say) what I'm looking for? It
gives the impression that you could run a PC cable between a camera and
one of the sockets on there and it would trigger the shoe (item 1 in
their list), but I'm not quite sure how it can do that and also provide
two PC outputs (item 2 in their list).

  It sounds like it's just a four-way connection between the sockets and
the shoe(s), but then what would happen if I put that in a (working)
hotshoe on a camera and connected the PC socket to the camera? Then
there'd be triggering going in both directions, out of the camera,
through the shoe, down the PC socket, and back into the camera, which
doesn't sound like a good plan. Maybe I just don't connect it that way?

  Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on there? Ideally, if I
bought a bunch of those and some PC cables, I could have (non-TTL)
multiple flashes set up off-camera, but I don't want to get anything
electrically wrong and end up blowing things up..

  -- dan

  (for now, I'm ignoring optical slaves, because that still needs a
starting point, and if I don't want any light coming from the camera
itself I still need to get the master flash off-camera somehow. Sure, I
could buy the appropriate cable for my E-1, but those are so expensive
for what they are..)