[OM] Re: Flash connectors question

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash connectors question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:21:02 -0400
Dan Mitchell wrote:

>   What is the use of a PC connector for flashes? My OMs and the E-1 have
> a PC connector on the side to connect non-dedicated flashes to -- fair
> enough, but which _flashes_ have PC connectors on them?
>
>   T32? nope. T20? Nope. FL-50? nope. Miranda "OM dedicated"? nope.
> Sunpak "OM dedicated"? nope. The only flash I own that _does_ have a PC
> socket (I think) is the Nikon SB-22 I got to go with my Coolpix..

<big snip>  Jeff was correct when he identified
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7522871541&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/7522871541_W0QQcatrefZC5QQfbdZ1QQfclZ3QQflocZ1QQfposZ01801QQfromZR6QQfrppZ50QQfsclZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfssZ0QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQnojsprZyQQpfidZ0QQsacatZQ2d1QQsacqyopZgeQQsacurZ0QQsadisZ200QQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ0QQsaslopZ1QQsofocusZbsQQfviZ1#ebayphotohosting>
as a hotshoe to PC adapter.  It's designed for cameras that don't have a
PC connection.  It slips into the hotshoe, provides multiple PC
connections and then carries the hotshoe up to the top so a hot shoe is
still available.

What you want is a PC to hotshoe adapter such as this
<http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Piece-Hot-Shoe-Adapter-New-Made-OF-METAL_W0QQitemZ7549482592QQcategoryZ30038QQcmdZViewItem>
It looks very similar except that the bottom has a tripod socket as well
as being able to fit in a cold shoe.  (like a hot shoe but no electrical
connection)

You can buy it from ebay and pay shipping or get it for about the same
total price from a local Ritz camera store if there's one around.  You
can also buy optical slaves there (discussed here recently) for about
the same price.  I recommend those to trigger the other flashes assuming
there is no other camera with flash being fired in the vicinity.
Otherwise wire them up with PC cords.

Chuck Norcutt

Chuck Norcutt