[OM] Re: shadow control plug in, was Re: E1 with OM adapter pictures

Subject: [OM] Re: shadow control plug in, was Re: E1 with OM adapter pictures
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:16:11 -0700
iddi wrote:

>Oh, very neat. What does tonal width control?

Geez, how should I know? All I do is move 'em around 'til I get the
effect I want.  :-)   Actually, I go further, and set up an action with
specific values that I like for the first of a group of similar shots,
so I can repeat the effect easily on the rest. Sometimes individual fine
tuning is needed, but it starts out close.

Seriously, my understanding from the name and using it is that the Tonal
Width control determines over what area of the histogram the adjustment
is made, starting with the bottom and extending toward the middle for
shadow, the reverse for highlight. The slider determines how far towards
the middle.

Now lets see if I'm right. The Help File says:

Tonal Width

Controls the range of tones in the shadows or highlights that are
modified. Move the slider to the left or right to decrease or increase
the Tonal Width value. Smaller values restrict the adjustments to only
the darker regions for Shadow correction and only the lighter regions
for Highlight correction. Larger values include more tonal regions (such
as adding the midtones) that are being adjusted. A value of 100%
produces a linear effect; for Shadow correction, deep shadows get
modified the most with no correction to bright highlights and half the
shadow correction to midtones. The tonal width requirements will vary
from image to image. Specifying a value that is too large for a given
image might introduce halos around strong dark to light edges. The
default settings attempt to reduce these artifacts. These halos may
occur when the Shadow or Highlight Amount values are too large; they can
also be reduced by decreasing these values.

Tip iconThe Tone Width default is set to 50%. If you find that you are
trying to lighten a dark subject but the midtones or lighter regions are
changing too much, try reducing the Shadow Tone Width towards zero. Then
only the darkest regions will be lightened. On the other hand, if you
need to brighten up the midtones as well as the shadows, increase the
Shadows Tone Width toward 100%.

>And auto correction, there is no specified unit, just range of + and -, what
>does that do? Thanks.

I think you mean Color Correction? I've never know what this does, but
the Help says:

Color Correction

Allows fine tuning of the colors in regions of the image that have
changed. This adjustment is only available in color images. For example,
if you increase the Shadows Amount slider, you will bring out colors
that were dark in the original image. You may want these colors to be
more or less vivid. Adjust the Color Correction slider to give the best
results. In general, increasing values tend to produce more saturated
colors and decreasing values produce less saturated colors.

Note: Since the Color Correction slider only affects changed portions of
the image, the amount of color variation depends on how much or little
Shadows or Highlights Amount is applied. The greater the correction made
to the shadows and highlights, the greater the range of color correction
available. The Color Correction slider applies subtle control over the
darkened or lightened colors in the image. If you want to change the
color hues or saturation over the whole image, use the Hue/Saturation
command after applying the Shadow/Highlight command.

Moose, still learning something new evey day...