[OM] Re: [[ Am I going to regret my choice?

Subject: [OM] Re: [[ Am I going to regret my choice?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:49:45 +1200
Moose wrote
> Brian Swale wrote:
>
> >I notice it has a lot less WB options than the E-300, and a few other menu
> >options have been reduced as well.
> >
> Ever the pessimist, eh?
Possibly, certainly grumpy right now !!.

> Did you look at the specs?
Yes, see the top URL (below) which is a link from the 2nd
They did indeed drop from 8 presets to 7.
> That qualifies as a lot? Hardly a big deal on a camera which allows very
> fine tuning of each setting and saving custom settings.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EV500/E500speccomp.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EV500/E500A.HTM
and
> I thought you liked Oly.

Yes I do, but that doesn't prevent me from pointing out aspects I don't like.
This is not politics we are discussing here !!

There are many nice new features that are reported to come with the E-500,
but; screen is not replaceable (tough for those who want Katz-Eye screens),
and reduced manual colour temperature settings.

I mention here while is crosses my mind, that I read somewhere recently,
that the 4/3 adapter is somewhere like 0.1 - 0.3 mm too thin.

Maybe the Kindai adapter is manufactured more accurately.

This means that  manual Zuiko lenses do not focus where the lens focus
scale indicates; this can be an issue especially for wide-angle lenses, and
longer-focus lenses.

Actually, I am getting increasingly frustrated with the E-1 and manual Zuiko
lenses; I find it quite difficult to get well-exposed shots with it and them
(they
are usually over-exposed), and attaining sharp focus is a real issue.
Elsewhere I have mentioned my frustration with latitude.  I take my hat off to
CH Ling for his marvelous set of demonstration shots with a wide range of
Zuikos on a (?C*n*n) digital.  I don't know how he managed them.

The ranges of suitable f-stops with Zuikos on E-1 are also rather limited.

Features I really like about the E-1 are the near total absence of vibration
(this means that hand-held shots can be sharp in instances where it would
be nearly impossible with an OM); the convenience of getting dust-free scans
(electronic images) so quickly and where the jaggies at sharp edges are
amazingly small; and waterproofing.

I will be using my OMs even more I think; personally, I get a far higher
percentage of keepers.

Brian