[OM] Re: [[ Am I going to regret my choice?

Subject: [OM] Re: [[ Am I going to regret my choice?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 06:52:41 -0400

Brian Swale wrote:

> There are many nice new features that are reported to come with the E-500,
> but; screen is not replaceable (tough for those who want Katz-Eye screens),
> and reduced manual colour temperature settings.

The Katz Eye screen is available for 7 different camera models.  Of
these, only the E-1 is designed for user interchangeable screens.  All
of the others would be described as having non-replaceable screens.  It
simply means that you'll have to act like a repairman and use a small
screwdriver to release the frame that holds the screen in place.  Not
something you'd likely do in the field and so the Katz Eye must be
considered a semi-permanent replacement for cameras other than the E-1.

> I mention here while is crosses my mind, that I read somewhere recently,
> that the 4/3 adapter is somewhere like 0.1 - 0.3 mm too thin.
>
> Maybe the Kindai adapter is manufactured more accurately.
>
> This means that  manual Zuiko lenses do not focus where the lens focus
> scale indicates; this can be an issue especially for wide-angle lenses, and
> longer-focus lenses.

I think it highly unlikely that the Oly 4/3 adapter is "too thin" or
that the Kindai is manufactured more accurately.  0.1mm would be a gross
error for even the sloppiest machine shop.  Even if the adapter was off
by 0.3mm in thickness I doubt seriously that such a small positioning
error could be detected at the gross level of the focusing scale.

Chuck Norcutt