[OM] Re: E-500 specs (long)

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 specs (long)
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:30:03 +0200
Le vendredi 30 Septembre 2005 14:43, John Hermanson a écrit :
> Are E-300s sold outside the US minus the EVOLT moniker?  Just wondering.

Yes. In Europe, we've not heard of EVOLT at all, and as far as I can tell,
I've never seen 'evolt' written anywhere on the body, in magazines' ads.

There are also other reasons than cross-import restrictions for differences in
branding for basically the same design : depending on the target market, some
functions may be crippled to comply with national patents. I don't know if
Olympus does it, but for instance, the canon EOS A2 is a crippled version of
the EOS 5, because bargraph display of over / under exposure in the
viewfinder in manual mode is (was ?) patented in the USA, and not outside. So
the A2 displays only a +/- sign, while the 5 shows a scale between -2 / +2
EV.

--
Manuel Viet