[OM] Re: [[ Am I going to regret my choice?

Subject: [OM] Re: [[ Am I going to regret my choice?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:48:38 -0700 (PDT)
> I mention here while is crosses my mind, that I read somewhere
> recently, that the 4/3 adapter is somewhere like 0.1 - 0.3 mm
> too thin.

Better to be too thin than thick. I recall having a lens that
never focused all the way to infinity.

> Actually, I am getting increasingly frustrated with the E-1
> and manual Zuiko lenses; I find it quite difficult to get
> well-exposed shots with it and them (they are usually over-
> exposed), and attaining sharp focus is a real issue.

It does take getting used to.  I ran a set of controlled tests
at all apertures and all lenses on my E-1.  Anything wider than
F4 will over-expose.  Depending on the focal length, anything
beyond F8 will start to skew too.  I did a write up on this a
couple months ago with the data.  Sometimes it pays to think
manual exposure.

> Elsewhere I have mentioned my frustration with latitude.

Maybe it's a case of us wanting the image to be something beyond
what we "think we want".  I learned how to maximize Velvia many
years ago and using the same techniques allows me to preserve
many a highlight.  Otherwise, I just accept the fact that
something is going to peak and I just work with it.

> The ranges of suitable f-stops with Zuikos on E-1 are also
> rather limited.

There are good spots and bad spots, but overall I'm pretty
tickled with the majority of my lenses on the E-1.  Course, my
herd is pretty limited.

> Features I really like about the E-1 are the near total
> absence of vibration...

I place this up there beyond the dust-shaker in killer-features.
I never had it this good with the OM bodies.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com