[OM] Re: Please critique my scans

Subject: [OM] Re: Please critique my scans
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 10:58:42 -0700
> Hi all,
>
> A couple of days ago I acquired a Nik*n 4000ED film scanner. I've scanned
> dozen or so negs and before I go too far I'd appreciate a critique on the
> technical aspects of what I've done because I haven't used a film scanner
> before.
>
> Please have a look at the scans on this page
> http://dev-stop-fix.com/test.php
> and tell me what you think they look like.

Andrew,
First, I'll parrot what others will say, the composition of the pics are
great.

The grainy effect stands out in the sky.  I can think of several things:

1. Source

Were you shooting grainy film?

2. Some odd incompatablilty between scanner and source / scene.

I've got a Minolta Dimage IV.  It had problems with some old Kodachome pics
that included a lot of blue sky which resulted in the grainy sky I see in
your stuff.  Scans of same batch of slides without vast blue patches didn't
seem to have the problem.  I haven't shot B/W so I don't know if my scanner
might have problems with that.

3. Post scanning processing

Sharpening in Photoshop can create this effect.

Jay Drew

Hand me my costume
Please won't you pass me my mask
I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets