[OM] Scanner suggestions, for bulk scanning

Subject: [OM] Scanner suggestions, for bulk scanning
From: Steve Goss <stevegoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 23:46:18 -0500
Hi, Y'all-
One of the nice things that happened last weekend was that my Dad, my brother
and I discussed all
the slides we have, and how it would be nice to have them a little more
available than assorted
trays and boxes. The best thing about the conversation was that my Dad is
willing to foot the bill
for a film scanner. <insert ear to ear smile here>

Some guide lines:
because of the number of slides to scan, scanners that require someone to
manually insert each
slide or reposition a slide carrier won't cut it. Some sort of attachment that
can automatically
work through a stack of slides would be highly valued.

Resolution is not an over-riding concern. It needs to be good, but it doesn't
need to be state of
the art. Probably in the 3200 or greater range. Even though the originals
occasionally get
projected on to a four foot wide screen, the scans probably won't be viewed or
printed any larger
than 12 to 15 inches.

Flexibility. Dad shot Kodachrome years ago, now he's shooting Ektachrome. Mike
is shooting Provia.
I used to shoot that Seattle Filmworks stuff, but I'm now shooting Kodachrome.
Plus, there will be
a few odd rolls of Agfa, GAF and who knows what else.

Price. As low as possible. Finding something used would be ideal. Dad said that
he did not want to
pay as much as a new car would cost.

Connection. Since the scanner will be hooked up to three different computers,
USB would be easier
than SCSI, but price may dictate SCSI. The computers range from a 6 year old
Dell running Win 98 to
a new HP running XP.

Let the suggestions begin!

Thanks, Steve Goss, Dallas Tx usa