[OM] Re: Looking for a TAmron 80-200mm f2.8? Take a look at ebay# 755314

Subject: [OM] Re: Looking for a TAmron 80-200mm f2.8? Take a look at ebay# 7553144...
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:52:07 -0500
On 10/11/05, NSURIT@xxxxxxx <NSURIT@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> In a message dated 10/11/2005 6:13:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
> jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> What do  you like about it in comparison to the Tamron?
>

> Three things:
>
> 1) It is about the same size and has about the same handling  characteristics
> as the Tamron.
>
> 2) I can't tell any difference in the quality of the images produced.
>
> 3) Someone at a camera show wanted my Tamron which was "like new" more  than
> I did, so the proceeds of that sale funded both my Tokina AT-X purchase and
> provided a bit more fuel for my habit.  Please don't tell anyone at ZA  about
> this.
>
> Perhaps the best answer might be that there was not anything wrong  with
> Tamron, so it was not a decision to switch from one to another because the
> Tokina
> was better.    Bill  Barber

Thanks.  If the two are equally good, cheaper is certainly better.
But it sounds like I might as well hang onto my Tamron for now.

Incidentally, it might be a good moment to remind folks that the
Tamron SP 80-200 can sometimes be hard to find with a native tripod
mount in good order.  The good news is that the OM tripod collar can
be made to work nicely with this lens, and in fact I prefer it, though
YMMV.

Joel W.