[OM] Re: E-thing guys - couple of questions

Subject: [OM] Re: E-thing guys - couple of questions
From: jeff-keller@xxxxxxx (Jeff Keller)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:23:45 +0000
One of the things that showed up at work was that not all compact flashes
handle power on "correctly". I've forgotten the details but if the reset line
is held high while the CF powers up the flash is supposed to be formated FAT32
but if the reset line is low while the card powers up the CF is supposed to be
formated FAT16 (something like that but I'm sure I've got part of it mixed up).
It appears that although CF cards are sold in incredible numbers even the big
name manufacturers have their own different ideas about how to handle basic
operations. The company I work for got a couple vendors to make some changes to
the cards they buy. Your CF card, your camera, and your CF reader may all make
different choices. Be careful about inserting and removing CF cards while the
camera/computer is powered up.
-jeff