[OM] Re: Scanner suggestions, for bulk scanning

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner suggestions, for bulk scanning
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:13:23 +0100
Steve

I am glad to hear that you could derive something positive from last
weekend, and I can well sympathize that your loss has inspired you to share
family photo memories.  That is just what I did with a stack of slides
dating from mid 1950s to early 1970s.  Also a variety of filmstock including
Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Anscochrome and Gevachrome.  And some others.  And
in conditions varying from dirty through to emulsion dissolved.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Nikon 4000ED (good memory, Chuck) which
does have a bulk loader option for slides, as well as dust and scratch
removal and color restoration options.  The 40000ED has now been superseded,
which may mean that they are more reasonably priced, but you may want to
check the IVED, which has the same 4000dpi maximum resolution, but with
lower dmax, and USB in place of Firewire.  I assume the IVED will accept the
bulk loader.

Though you say you do not need the ultimate in resolution, I suspect that
you would benefit - either by faster scanning at lower resolution, or by
superior results from conversion to jpeg.

Here's a few samples

http://www.hemy.me.uk/Miscellany/Image10.jpg - a straight scan, see the
crud!
http://www.hemy.me.uk/Miscellany/Image11.jpg - digital ICE in action, but no
manual restoration at all.
http://www.hemy.me.uk/Miscellany/Image20.jpg - a Kodachrome from 1959.  I
must have assumed it was a Land camera I was using :-(

--
Piers