[OM] Re: 18/3.5

Subject: [OM] Re: 18/3.5
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:01:41 -0300
On 10/12/05, Walter Tani <taniw001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bill, your coffee is packed but I haven't had the time to get to the post
> office; sorry! Maybe late this week, hopefully.

Do I dare open pandora's box and ask about the coffee?

Personally I'm slowly rationing my supply of Lao coffee which is
apparently quite highly regarded (I've heard it's around $35/kg US, I
paid significantly less in Laos). My particular variety is 100% pure
washed arabica espresso roast sold under the label "Lao Mountain
Coffee", I have no idea if it's exported from Laos. I actually had a
chance to meet the owner and discuss coffee with him for awhile. It's
a non-certified organic coffee (organic certification is expensive, it
meets the requirements though) fair trade coffee.

I've been drinking it "Lao style" by first pouring a layer of
sweetened condensed milk into my glass and then pouring the hot coffee
over that (yes, this is similar to Vietnamese coffee but not as strong
or sickly sweet). I started out experimenting with Vietnamese drip
coffee but they failed miserably. For some odd reason I was getting a
cup that would take extremely long to drip through (20+ mins) but with
weak flavour (normally the longer it takes to drip through the
stronger it should get), and not even a good flavour at that.

Deciding that my coffee stash was too precious to waste on further
experiments I switched over to my french press. I start with near
boiling water (I boil the water and let it sit for maybe 15secs before
pouring) and let the coffee brew for 3-3.5mins. This has been yielding
excellent cups of full flavoured coffee without any harshness.