[OM] A bit more on the SP Systems power pack

Subject: [OM] A bit more on the SP Systems power pack
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:27:34 -0400
I should have emphasized that the SP Systems pack is about 1/3 larger
than the Quantum Turbo and it's also a bit heavier but I don't think as
much as 1/3.

A friend has one he bought as a backup to go along with his 2 Quantum
Turbos.  He doesn't like the SP System pack because it's "too heavy".
Hoever, I think his problem is that he tries to wear it on his belt like
he does the Quantum.  I tried that and didn't like it either.  For apple
shaped folks like me it wants to pull your pants down.

I also have the Lumiquest "Battereez" power pack harness.  It takes
about 10 minutes to figure out how to put the thing on only to find out
that it's pretty useless.  Not recommended.

I prefer to wear the power pack with the shoulder strap and with the
strap over the head and resting on the shoulder opposite the side the
power pack is on.  It won't fall off your shoulder that way and if
positioned a little toward the front a bit doesn't interfere with normal
motions.  It also places the plug socket and power switch within easy
reach in case you want to put the flash and camera down somewhere.

I commented yesterday that I seemed to recall that it could recycle two
T-32's in about 3 seconds.  I checked that this morning and found that
my memory was accurate.

Don't know whether I mentioned this before but, just like the T-32's the
Sunpak flashes (at least the 422 and 522) don't require AA batteries
when they're being powered by an external high voltage pack.  I think
most flash units still require AA's to run the low voltage electronics.

Chuck Norcutt