[OM] Re: Fisheye 8mm and fungal blooms - how easy to remove

Subject: [OM] Re: Fisheye 8mm and fungal blooms - how easy to remove
From: jeff-keller@xxxxxxx (Jeff Keller)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:28:01 +0000
The 8mm is notorious for fungus problems. It looks like you got a pretty good
price but it might have sold for even less if he disclosed that it had fungus.
Jim Brokaw was looking for a replacement element for a long time. I don't know
if he ever found one. I think there was a second list member looking for a
replacement also. I think they were looking for the rear element.

John has a new replacement front element listed on his web site for $175.

If it has fungus it probably has spores that can grow under the right
conditions. If you keep it in a dry environment, it probably won't get worse
but there is a definite risk.

It would be a good idea at least to get a rough quote to have it completly
cleaned and ask the seller if he will pay for the cleaning.

Hope your son improves quickly. Best wishes,
-jeff