[OM] Re: Fisheye 8mm and fungal blooms - how easy to remove

Subject: [OM] Re: Fisheye 8mm and fungal blooms - how easy to remove
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:17:20 -0400
As others say, it better have been cheap with those problems.  Is the front
element chewed up enough for a replacement?  If so, those can be found....for a
price.

I'm sure that John or Clint can clean out the dirt, etc.  Fungus cleaning is a
bigger problem, and may not be cleanable.  Focal Point can clean the fungus.

The rear element, as others have said, is the real problem-in-waiting.  Examine
it REAL careful-like.  I'm pretty sure that the cement in the rear doublet has
begun to get cloudy in many of the lenses, rendering them impractical to use
and unrepairable without a donor lens.  The only other option would be to have
Focal Point or someone else unglue, clean, and re-glue the offending elements.
NOT cheap!

Skip