[OM] Re: Fisheye 8mm and fungal blooms - how easy to remove

Subject: [OM] Re: Fisheye 8mm and fungal blooms - how easy to remove
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:12:20 +0100
That (the second list member looking for the rear element) would have been
me.  I am reasonably convinced that there are no longer *any* rear elements
for the 8mm in Olympus spare parts stock anywhere on the planet.  I know
that Olympus UK did have two in the past year, but I believe both were
rejected (and probably binned) for coating faults and/or scratches.  The
lens on whose behalf I was asking for a rear element was eventually repaired
by removing the damaged coating from the raer element glass and having it
recoated.

As other have said, the front element is available.

Are you sure it is fungal bloom, rather than a breakdown of the bonding of
the black paint on the rear plane surface of the front element, causing
total internal reflection within the element?  If it is TIR, I would think
it easier to rectify - at a price.

--
Piers