[OM] Re: Dead Mother (Now with pictures!)

Subject: [OM] Re: Dead Mother (Now with pictures!)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:23:40 -0700
Walt Wayman wrote:

>In spite of the fact some of you disregarded my instructions, thanks anyway
>for the condolences.  The burial was accomplished Thursday, and a good time
>was had by all.  More about that another time.

Well, I followed instructions before.... I still do wish you well with
the inevitable emotional aftermath. My mother is about to turn 85 and
has slipped into that difficult stage where she needs lots of
assistance, but is still living in the house her family moved into when
she started high school. She says she doesn't want to live as long as
her friend who just turned 100, but isn't ready to go yet. So next week
the visits to assisted living places begin. I am so not looking forward
to that.

Then she is starting to talk again about driving again. She hasn't
driven for over a year since she went in for knee replacement surgery. I
think it may be time to purloin her car keys and hide them. It would be
safer for her and those out on the road.

><snip>
>This photograph is an excellent representation of our family.  We laughed a
>lot, more than some folks thought was dignified and proper, and those of us
>left still do -- including my mother's only sister, who'll be 97 this
>Halloween.  (Folks born on Halloween have to have a sense of humor.)  Hell, we
>laughed at mother's funeral.  She would've joined in, except she, of course,
>was three days dead by then.

What a wonderful gift to encounter!

>http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1065.jpg

Great shot!

>http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1066.jpg
>
>Could it be that the Minolta 5400 is just too darn good and I should just scan
>the film with the old 2400 dpi HP PhotoSmart and fuggedaboudit?

Have you tried ICE on them? I see what look like dust spots on the
sample you posted, so I guess maybe not. If the fungus is opaque to
infrared, ICE should clean up all those filaments. Just look at what it
did for the fungusy old Kodachrome shot Piers recently reposted. I'd try
that before treating the negs with anything. ICE has to be applied when
scanning unless you use Vuescan and save a RAW image in 64 bit RGBI.
Then it can be applied later. That way it is quick and easy to
experiment with different settings.

Moose