[OM] Re: back for a bit

Subject: [OM] Re: back for a bit
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 02:07:43 -0700
Wayne S wrote:

>Hi OM list. I have not been on this list for a while. Mostly I've been
>working many hours attempting a startup company developing
>wireless sensors. I probably won't be able to stay long as my
>attention span has become very short lately.

Hi! Bye! Come back soon.

>One mistake I did of late with the E-1 was to upgrade to the latest
>firmware, version 1.4. Now the auto-focus goes crazy every
>now and then and refuses to focus, or racks between infinity
>and close focus. I have often had to switch it to manual just to
>take pictures. Why Olympus can not let users roll back the firmware
>is beyond me. I write firmware for embedded devices, and there
>is no technical reason you cannot do it.

One can do it with the Can*ns, at least the 300D I have.

>So the experience of
>using the camera at a recent wedding has convinced me to
>abandon the E-1 in favor of something else. I liked the OM's
>because I could shoot in low light. The E-1 just does not quite
>follow in that ability. The problem was so bad I switched on the
>auto-focus assist light, thinking that would help, but no luck.
>I was back to manual focus. I can just no longer trust the
>camera for focusing.

That has been a known weakness of the E-1 from the start. It just does
not have low light AF as fast or effective as some other DSLRs. Brief
testing in a store is one reason I didn't buy an E-1. It was slow to
focus and had a tendency to hunt in light and at longer focal lengths
where other SLRs focused quickly and effectively. The 300D I did buy is
significantly better than the E-1, and there are others even better.

I really think it is important to honestly think through what one needs
in a camera and compare that to what is available before looking at the
name. If Oly and another brand are equal, or even close to it, for what
I want, I'll buy the Oly in a flash. Otherwise.....

You already have the lenses, so you might look at the E500. Looks pretty
good if noise and AF are better. It should have the great E-1 advantage
for jobs like weddings of excellent color right out of the box, without
a lot of adjustment. A camera that requires extra workflow between shot
and print isn't a winner for those kind of jobs either.

Moose