[OM] Re: Fisheye 8mm and fungal blooms - how easy to remove

Subject: [OM] Re: Fisheye 8mm and fungal blooms - how easy to remove
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 07:59:00 -0400
David Carter wrote:

> It has been my observation, that all lenses are prone to fungus or other
> maladies sooner or later. Regardless of whom made them. Although some do
> have tendencies to show manufacturing defects, before others of the same
> age. As indicated in other replies, it seems more dependent on where
> they're stored.
>
> Last I heard fungi were unable to read ;-)

LOL!  Indeed, fungi are perfectly capable of growing on uncoated glass
and even rocks while they exude acid and etch away whatever substrate
they're on.  In fact, fungi are one of the principal means by which
rocks are broken down into soil.

Fungi are everywhere.  There are probably thousands or even millions of
spores inside each and every one of your lenses no matter where you
live.  The only question is whether they will eventually be treated to
temperature and moisture conditions which allow them to grow.

Chuck Norcutt