[OM] Re: back for a bit

Subject: [OM] Re: back for a bit
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 09:58:38 -0400
I was happy with the performance of the camera prior to the latest
firmware upgrade. Now even with auto-focus assist, the camera
auto-focus is unstable. The latest upgrade was an attempt to improve
the performance of the auto-focus. Unfortunately fast search algorithms
when they work, are faster, but when they are not, can be unstable.
That is the situation with the latest E-1 firmware. All I want is to be
able to return it to something predictable. As a photographer, predictable
is more important than slight increase in speed for a small number
of situations. Before, I could predict how the camera would behave.
Now it feels like a stranger in my hands. IMO, it is right up there with
dictating that 4/3's is "The" size for an image sensor. I get the feeling
they made the change so they could put faster numbers in their data
sheet.

I also like Olympus lenses, even though there are no IS versions.
However, I am very cautious about investing more in a system that
does not appear to have the advantages in noise that other cameras
do. The Canon 5D looks really nice, full frame sensor even.

I was just poking my nose in here to see if people are still using OM
stuff or if the breed is dying out and becoming extinct :-)

Waye