[OM] Re: (Film) Projectors - Quick question

Subject: [OM] Re: (Film) Projectors - Quick question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:24:14 -0400
Bill is correct.  Image magnfication with the same focal length lens
will be the same as long as:

a) the distance from film plane to lens or
b) the distance from lens to viewing screen is the same

These two things are simply differnt aspects of the same bit of lens
math.  With a fixed focal length lens as soon as one is set the other is
determined as well.

To change the magnification without changing the projector lens to
screen distance would require a shorter lens for greater magnification
or a longer lens for lesser magnification.  In other words, a zoom lens
to change the magnification while you and the projectior sit in the same
spot.

Aperture controls only the brightness except that it may also have an
effect on image quality just as it does with your taking lenses.  A lens
with larger aperture needs to be better designed and built to have equal
  image quality to a slower lens.

Other things that control brighness are the strength of the projection
bulb, the efficiency of the condenser system and the magnfication.  If
you make the image larger you spread the total available light over a
larger area and make it dimmer.

Chuck Norcutt