[OM] Re: Favorite portrait lens for OM

Subject: [OM] Re: Favorite portrait lens for OM
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:52:47 -0700
I am not really a portrait taker, but my philosophy is that you can
always soften an image, but impossible to add detail.

  I would think that the focal length for the kind of portrait you
want, the ability to adjust depth of field by opening up the
aperture, and a beautiful bokeh would be more important
considerations, especially with head and shoulder shots.

  Certainly Leica became famous for environmental portraits with
incredibly sharp 35mm and 50mm/F2 Summicrons. But even for closer
shots with longer lenses portraits of men tend to be sharp and women
tend to be soft. Post processing is not everything, but it is a big
part of it.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA