[OM] Re: back for a bit

Subject: [OM] Re: back for a bit
From: jeff-keller@xxxxxxx (Jeff Keller)
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:01:15 +0000

-------------- Original message from Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>:
--------------

> > >So the experience of
> > >using the camera at a recent wedding has convinced me to
> > >abandon the E-1 in favor of something else. I liked the OM's
> > >because I could shoot in low light. The E-1 just does not quite
> > >follow in that ability. The problem was so bad I switched on the
> > >auto-focus assist light, thinking that would help, but no luck.
> > >I was back to manual focus. I can just no longer trust the
> > >camera for focusing.
> > >
> > That has been a known weakness of the E-1 from the start. It just does
> > not have low light AF as fast or effective as some other DSLRs. Brief
> > testing in a store is one reason I didn't buy an E-1. It was slow to
> > focus and had a tendency to hunt in light and at longer focal lengths
> > where other SLRs focused quickly and effectively. The 300D I did buy is
> > significantly better than the E-1, and there are others even better.
>
> My experience is that the 1.4 firmware upgrade improved the speed of
> AF in low light without compromising anything that had previously
> worked well. I sort of suspect there might be a more fundamental
> problem with Wayne's camera. What he describes is not the behavior of
> any "known weakness" with the E-1 IMHO.
>
> Joel W.

The bird chasers prefered C*non a year or so ago and most likely still do.

I've found some scenes do create surprising problems for the E-1. Changing
which spots it uses for AF can also have a pretty big impact. Most of the time
I have better luck with all three used rather than just the center.

My E-1 is probably running older firmware than my E-300. I think the E-300
works slightly better but that's a vague impression rather than side by side
testing.

-jeff