[OM] Re: When digital is no good...

Subject: [OM] Re: When digital is no good...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:29:14 -0700
Simon Worby wrote:

>Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>
>>I'll grant you that you can't see that detail on an XGA
>>projector but that doesn't make the XGA projector worthless.
>>
>>It's not useless.  It simply doesn't meet your own personal
>>criteria for image quality.
>>

>I did carefully state "If you want to ... do them [the images] any sort
>of justice". It's not about my personal criteria; but about doing the
>images/resolution/photography justice.

You seem obsessed with sharpness. That's fine, but there are others to
whom sharpness beyond a certain point is of little interest. There are
other characteristics that are of great importance to others and valued
more highly than that last bit of sharpness. Color fidelity, contrast,
dynamic range, tonal accuracy, etc. are also important in any projection
system.

There is nothing worng with your personal criteria as to what "does an
image justice", they simply may not be the same as those of some others.
I knew a fellow who was a zealot about color. He was a real bore about
screens. Resolution, viewing angle, etc. meant nothing to him, but
neutrality was his grail.

I simply don't care for the simple reason that I haven't given a slide
show in many years and don't see where I would ever be likely to in the
future. I used to rather like slide shows, even other peoples', but I
sure didn't find family or friends who much liked them.

Moose