[OM] Re: When digital is no good...

Subject: [OM] Re: When digital is no good...
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:37:10 +0100 (BST)

> Again, no matter whether film or chrome, it simply isn't a fair comparison
> of digital files vs. a scanned and printed film. That, of course,
> precludes
> any comparison other than one made in person, but who said life is fair...
>
> I'm considering having a digital file written to a film recorder, and
> having
> a print made to compare with an optical print.

I agree, I was shocked at the difference between my scans and the
originals. I never owned a projector and so my only expereince was looking
at the scans. I assumed that film was ok but not that sharp. then I got a
light table and a loupe...

by the time I have scanned my slides even with the minolta scan elite 5400
they are not even close to what I see on the light table with a 10x loupe,
there is less dynamic range with less shadow detail, its less alive, there
are bags of general detail but its all soft it does not have the sharpness
of the slide. The greens are no where near as saturated.
James