[OM] Re: More Dynamic Range

Subject: [OM] Re: More Dynamic Range
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:22:21 -0300
On 10/17/05, Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There are a couple of people on the dpreview Nikon forum who tried
> it. When you merge all the images you get all the detail in a very
> flat picture and then have to reduce the detail by increasing
> contrast to get a pleasing image. My impression is that it does not
> give you much more than a well exposed single digital image. But
> those were just initial experiments.

Sounds like you're better off with using layers and masking parts
then. I find that some of the automatic tools are great but they tend
to be somewhat limited. For instance, I've had great sucess with the
colour match command when working with very similar shots (such as
comparing subtley different studio shots) but then had horrible
results with other things that I would think *should* be do-able.

For instance, I recently did some layout work for the invitations to
my cousin's BFA graduation show. The invites were on postcards and
included 1 full length shot of one of her pieces and then 4 detail
shots. One of the detail shots had a lot of the backdrop in it (which
I later cropped out) so it was easily matched with the full length
shot. For the other 3 shots though it was utterly useless. Even when I
used selections to select areas that were identical colors in the 2
shots I couldn't get it to match. For some reason I could get a great
match in that selection area but if I told it to do the matching on
the whole image then the colour would get messed up, even in the
selection area that was matching great before.

The way it *seems* it's supposed to work is that you can select areas
in each image that should be the same color and then have it apply
those corrections to the whole image but for some reason it completely
fouls up the image. I'm using CS not CS2 so maybe it's been improved.

Still, for a couple of things it's been a life-saver. I had 1 image
that I'd put a lot of time in on (a lot of dust and scratches) but
then somehow the colour profile got messed up so the colours looked
awful. I still had the original scan which had the colour I wanted and
was able to use colour match to get the cleaned up scan back to the
colour I wanted.