[OM] Re: back for a bit

Subject: [OM] Re: back for a bit
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 06:14:23 -0700 (PDT)
Wayne, welcome back, albiet temporarily...

Your E-1 does sound "ill" to me.  For it to rack in and out like
that might also be an indication of a dirty sensor (focus
sensor, not the main CCD).

Version 1.4 addressed a weekness of the autofocus in florescent
lighting. The flicker 50/60hz was too close to the sampling
frequency. I believe they slowed down the sampling frequency
which also had the benefit of improved low-light performance.

However, I still get wierd autofocus characteristics under
stage-lighting. I haven't gotten around to throwing a scope on
the dimmer packs yet, but I suspect that there is an
incompatibility of the sampling rate with the revised waveform
coming from the stage lighting system.  Anytime a reostat is
used and the lights are dimmed down, my AF starts to act up.
However, it does so with my other AF cameras too.  In my case,
this AF problem in stage lighting is an occasional nuisence, not
a critical problem.

Hmm.  Just thinking about something here...

With my camera, performance goes DOWN if I'm using the AF
assist-light. I've also been hearing about the AF assist lights
in the external flash units causing degredations too.

Putting two and two together (two point four in Canadian), I'm
thinking that there might be an issue with near-IR.  Anyway, I
digress.

Send the camera in and have them fix the AF. Your unit is NOT
normal.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com