[OM] Re: When digital is no good...

Subject: [OM] Re: When digital is no good...
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:22:54 -0300
On 10/20/05, Piers Hemy <piers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I believe that digital projectors should be able to be profiled just as
> printers and monitors are - but I am not clear that the software used to
> generate the digital display (on the PC) is profile-aware.
>
> Any thoughts, anybody

There shouldn't be any special software for the projector; it's just
treated as a monitor. The drivers for them are usually just the same
as the drivers that come with any other monitor; they give windows a
bit of a better idea of what the display is capable of and you usually
get better results than just using "plug and play monitor". The other
software with them is usually for other features like remote controls
that allow you to move the mouse.

So I'd expect that you should be able to use a profile just like any
other monitor. The question for me is how you'd profile it? Measuring
the projected light wouldn't account for the screen material.

I imagine in the end you'd have to create separate profiles for each
location you used it in to account for different lighting conditions
and screens.