[OM] Re: E-500 review and other questions

Subject: [OM] Re: E-500 review and other questions
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:52:22 -0400
Ali wrote:
> Chuck and everyone...
>
> Thank you the beautiful and simple explanations. I needed something more
> in lay man's terms.
>
> I referred to the photo's here:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page20.asp

First of all, I don't see any "softness" in these images as Askey says.
  What I do see is what looks to me like differences in lenses, focus,
magnification and depth of field.  It's hard to do a precise comparison
when the sensors are different sizes and one shot is taken at f/6.3 and
the other at f/9 and, of course, both with different lenses.  The most
obvious difference is the image of the Leica lens which has low contrast
and is a little blurry which I think is a focus/DOF problem.  Note that
it's the closest thing to the camera.  All I can say is there's not a
whole lot of difference in the images produced by either camera... under
studio lighting conditions at ISO 100.  Not a hard test.

> in this set....the D50's look softer/out of focus
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page22.asp

The Nikon has a 6MP sensor and so the images are a little smaller.  It
also has a minimum ISO of 200.

Chuck Norcutt