[OM] Re: Dang this must be simple, I can't figure it out . . .

Subject: [OM] Re: Dang this must be simple, I can't figure it out . . .
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:42:05 -0500
> Hmmm, my understanding of "painting" with light is that you take the
> normal exposure using whatever lighting. Then you shut off all the
> lights and open your shutter and add extra light to the scene in
> specific areas right?
Andrew,

Perhaps that's what you young folks do, but us old fools do it another way.
It must be done in either a dark room or outside at night. One opens the
shutter, and all light is provided with a single light, "painted" on the
subject as required. It can be done with strobe, quartz, flashlight, or, for
that matter, a burning digicam. It was common in the days before readily
available strobes or small quartz lights.

I have a book, Ghost towns of the American West, made by a German
photographer. He took strange day-night scenes at, big suprise, ghost towns.
He used LF cameras and a big 12 volt light off an old ship, powered by a car
battery. Great book, great photos.

I also know the editor of a model railroading magazine does layout shots
with a Nikkormat/50 3.5 and an old quartz movie lamp. The results are
indistinguishable from ones shot with regular hot lights. I tried the same
thing with a single strobe and it also worked well.

Oh, did I mention, a tripod comes in handy?

Bill Pearce