[OM] Re: Shots again the E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Shots again the E-500
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:38:54 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>It seemed to me that a
>major noise breakthrough might be done with a change in architecture
>which would allow the photosensitive area to more closely approach
>the dimensions of the pixel pitch. For instance, if the current Kodak
>8MP 4/3 sensor has a pixel pitch of 5.3 microns and the
>photosensitive bit is, say, 2.5 microns, an increase to of the
>photosensitive part to 4 microns would greatly lower the signal to
>noise level, or what is more likely an increase in pixel count with
>smaller pitch and the same photosensitive area with more resolution
>for the same noise hit.  Possible, likely, or working feverishly to
>do it?

Again, Can*n is already there
<http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/cmos/technology-e/light_gathering.html>.

This only addresses the 1D vs. 1Ds sensors, but you can be sure they are
busily doing the same thing on others.

I suspect that the slightly higher pixel density of the 5D vs. the 20D
will turn out to be accompanied by less noise, certainly no more, just
as was the case with the move to higher density from the 10D/300D to the
20D/350D.

Moose