[OM] Re: Shots again the E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Shots again the E-500
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:46:11 -0400
The problem with "in the future 4/3 can get better noise" means that
it is "in the future", and if that future comes, the cameras with the bigger
pixels will also be improving and ISO 6400 will equal 4/3 ISO 1600.
And if someone came out with a 64megapixel camera at a good price
point, I'm sure people will jump to it. Will it be easier to provide lens
resolution for full frame versus reduced frame for 64mp sensors?

But if one is coming from a film perspective, I suspect that 12mp is
probably pretty good. I've always argued that 5mp's that are really clean
beats the pants off 8mp that are noisy or fuzzy. And at 64mp, that's
one hell of a tripod or 6 stops of image stabilization. Even at 12mp, my
technique is often still at the 5mp point, but if I go to the trouble and use
good technique, there are situations were it will be very welcome. The
real winner is the fact I can shoot at ISO 1600 and get pretty decent shots
compared to the the E-1 at ISO 400.

So which would you rather have 12mp with noise = ISO 800 or 5mp with
noise = ISO 3200? It is the same trade off with film, at 100 ISO, I can
get great resolution, but if the subject is moving, perhaps I really get
better sharpness with 400 speed film.

But I'm done waiting to see if 4/3's noise will really get better.
There are a lot of issues that make a good camera beside mp's,
the lenses, the sensor color reproduction, noise, ergonomics, flash
control, auto-focus, macro, weight, price, ... and if that 64mp camera
comes along, tell me you won't drool just a bit? just before the rational
brain kicks in.

Wayne