[OM] Re: the "one over focal-length guideline"

Subject: [OM] Re: the "one over focal-length guideline"
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:30:41 -0300
On 10/26/05, Robert Swier <robert.swier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Here's the question: What's the equivalent rule for the E-1? (Or more
> generally, for any system with a frame size different from 35mm).
>  My feeling is that you need to convert to the 35mm equivalent in order for
> the rule to still work. That is, if you get camera shake when shooting a
> 100mm Zuiko at 1/60, then you'd also get shake when shooting the 50mm
> Digital Zuiko at 1/60.
>  That's right, isn't it?

I'm going to guess no. Imagine that you took a 35mm shot that was shot
with a 50mm lens and cropped it down to the field of view you'd get
with a 100mm lens; that's not going to introduce any more shake.
That's essentially what you're doing with the 4/3 system.

The only situation I could see it being an issue would be that you're
essentially blowing up that crop to a larger size (so that the crop
would be the same size as the original shot) so small motion that
wasn't noticeable in the full shot might show up now.