[OM] Re: OT Digital Point and Shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Digital Point and Shoot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:52:17 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>That is reassuring. I must admit that the collection of Fuji pix I
>have seen elsewhere seem rather flat and colorless looking with a lot
>of blown highlights. These are very nice.

I have it pretty much permanently set at -2/3 EV. I set it there soon
after starting to get to know the camera and it's been there ever since.
I had the same thing with the S110, overexposed, washed out looking
shots and easily blown highlights at "normal" EV setting in anything but
quite flat light.. -2/3 gives generally nicely balanced histograms.

Of course, that makes it, in effect 2/3 stop faster, so that iso 800
acts more like 12-1400.

I just looked at a couple of very contrasty shots in direct sun, with
some really white parts of buildings and I have to say they could
benefit from just a little less exposure. To be fair, the scene simply
has more brightness range than a JPEG can encompass, so something has to
give. A little brightness, shadow and highlight adjustment improves it,
but can't regain the lost highlight detail
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Pemaquid.htm>.

I'm still learning the camera. I guess, I'll have to do a little more
experimenting. :-)

Moose