[OM] Announcing the OM 2005 Solstice Print Exchange!

Subject: [OM] Announcing the OM 2005 Solstice Print Exchange!
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:02:34 -0500
It is time once again (just barely!) for another OM Solstice Photo Exchange.

For those newer to the list, the Exchange is a fun opportunity for
members of the OM-List to share a print of a favorite photo with another
List member -- and, eventually, with the entire List. It's called the
Solstice Exchange because prints should be in the hands of lucky
recipients by the day of this year's Cancer Solstice -- December 21st.
This date leaves us reasonably close to a number of holidays important
to list members. :-)

The subject of the photo is up to you, within the bounds of good taste
(in other words, would you place this photo on _your_ wall?). It's
always nice to provide a little information about the subject and
technique (equipment, f-stop, exposure time).

It is _not_ necessary to take a picture just for the Exchange. Any shot
you have taken and which you especially like may be used -- so long as
Olympus gear -- OMs, E-thingys, Pens, rangefinders, Mjus/Styli, point &
shoots, etc. -- was involved in taking the picture.

Along with sending a print, you must supply a scan of your picture,
which will be displayed on Brian Swale's Web site, so all of us can
enjoy the exchanged photos, virtually, on December 21.

We are running this year's Exchange substantially different from earlier
years, so please read the "fine print" before you sign up!

The "Fine Print"

We'll try to keep this short and sweet. Please excuse the use of ALL
CAPS, but those are the most important parts.

- (DIFFERENT THIS YEAR) All participants are required to provide a scan
of their Solstice photo WHEN THEY SIGN UP.

We had great difficulty last year in getting all the scans to Brian in
time for the site unveiling on the day of the Solstice. So we're asking
people to think ahead about the photo they want to share and to scan it
in. That way, we're sure it's done and Brian has time to put it up on
the site.

Once Brian lets me know you've submitted a scan, I'll pair you up for
the print exchange.*** Until Brian has your scan, you are not yet a
participant in the Exchange. ***

- The OM-List is an international list. It is smart to assume your
Exchange partner may be a sea or two away from you. In addition,
countries have mail systems of varying efficiencies. PLEASE ALLOW AS
MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE TO SEND YOUR PRINT THROUGH THE MAIL AND ALLOW FOR
THE EXPENSE OF MAILING THAT PRINT SAFELY. This is especially true if
you're "running late" and need to expedite the mailing of your print. IF
YOU CANNOT COMMIT TO THIS, PLEASE DON’T DISAPPOINT SOMEONE ELSE BY
ENTERING THE EXCHANGE.

- The print should be 8" x 10" (or 8" x 12" or A4). It can be matted if
you like (this is not required). It should be shipped to resist mailing
damage. Many companies sell mailers which are inexpensive, highly
resistant to folding and damage, and which can be sent at letter-mail
rates (which are not too expensive or onerous).

- The scan should be in JPEG format. Dimensions for the scan should be
(at most) 640 pixels on the long side for portrait-format shots; 640 to
800 pixels on the long side for landscape-format shots.

So How Do I Sign Up?

1) Send your name and (physical) mailing address to me in an email to
steve@xxxxxxxxxxx  Please use the subject "(OM) 2005 Solstice Print
Exchange". I must have your email NO LATER THAN MIDNIGHT GMT, SUNDAY,
NOVEMBER 13.

2) Send your scan to Brian, using the email link at
http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/solstice/ and the subject "(OM)
2005 Solstice Print Exchange Image". Brian must have your scan NO LATER
THAN MIDNIGHT GMT, SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 13.

As soon as Brian lets me know who has sent him a scan, I will begin
emailing participants with the name and address of the list member to
whom they should send their print.

Again: participants are urged strongly to send their Exchange print in
time to arrive for the Solstice (December 21) -- especially those
sending photos long distances. Think how disappointing it would be to
have a gift-giving occasion and to have someone forget to send their
gift to you -- and mail as soon as possible!

Questions?

Please contact me or Brian (at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx). Thanks -- and
enjoy the Exchange!

Best regards,