[OM] Re: OM holiday snaps

Subject: [OM] Re: OM holiday snaps
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:52:49 -0700
Simon Worby wrote:

>Some holiday photos -- finally (projector broke which delayed things).

Lovely shots.

I don't know what the original slides look like, but I suspect the 4990
and Epson software aren't doing them justice, although there may be
adjustments to the scanning process that would help. There are also post
scanning things that can be done. I hope you don't mind, I've done some
quick, simple things to your images to, I hope, bring out some of what
is in the slides <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Worby/>.

523-30 is such a nice subject, but the web image has a sort of veiled
look. Here I selected all the brighter parts of the top and applied
local contrast enhancement, LCE, to the rest. I think it improves the
sky/clouds and both the reflections and the underwater detail.

524-19 mostly looks washed out except for the foreground. LCE and shadow
and highlight adjustment bring out the clouds and distant mountains and
enhance the foreground detail. If the original were mine, I would take a
little more time to separately treat foreground and background to avoid
the slightly oversharpened look to the foreground. I like the increased
differentiation of detail, but what's right for the background is a bit
much for the foreground.

525-04 is a great subject, but again, washed out looking and with a huge
expanse of blank sky. Slight downward brightness, LCE and shadow and
highlight adjustment bring some deatil and life to the cobbles, a little
color and cloud detail to the sky, more saturation to the building
colours and bring up a bit of shadow detail. Bringing up the sky more
reveals some nice colour and clouds. Looks terrible on such a compressed
image, as it strongly shows the JPEG artifacts, but it does mean there
is a real sky in the original that can be captured.

525-33 doesn't really need anything, but I tried out a bit of LCE, which
brings up a bit of color and detail in the boats.

Again, I hope you don't mind my messing with your images. I've heard so
many folks complain tht they can't get what they expect out of their
scanners when it's really possible and most of what they want is already
in the image, but hidden. I didn't spend more than a minute or two on
each image.

Moose