[OM] Re: OM holiday snaps

Subject: [OM] Re: OM holiday snaps
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:42:05 -0700
Simon Worby wrote:

>Dear Moose,
>
>Thanks for all the time and effort you're putting into this. It really
>is very generous.

I feel that I learn something more about the art and something about
explaining it. If I help anyone else, that's cool too.

>On the gallery I see two images of each picture, but they're both the
>same (not before & after) and they seem to be exactly the same as my
>originals at the moment -- so I must be missing something...

Well, you have prompted me to do something I've meant to do for some
time. I figured out how to make an image change when you roll the mouse
over it in HTML. With images this size, it takes time, with my
connection speed, a second or two, for the second image to download
before the screen changes the first time you roll the mouse over it.
Next, I guess I need to figure out how to predownload both versions of
the image.

I like this much better than posting two images. You can roll the mouse
on and off the image while looking at different parts of it to see how
they change without moving your eyes. For example, the first impression
of Freiburg for me is the slight darkening and increased colour and
detail in the sky, cobbles and building facades. Look also at the
shadows, where they open up, especially on the far right and in the
colonnade at the bottom of the fancy, red building.

More could be done working with originals, including making some effects
more subtle by working before downsizing, but this is about all I can do
to downsized, compressed images without spending time that wouldn't be
justified <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Worby/>.

>I can't comment on the changes you've made, yet, save to say that you're
>right about the scanner not doing them justice. They are a different
>ball game through my new projector. The scanner seems to over-lighten
>the light, and over-darken the dark somehow and the detail and clarity
>is lost. I'm disappointed with it, but I'm sure you're right in that if
>I were better at using it I could get more out of it.

I hope this will make it easier to see. If it doesn't, maybe there is
something wrong with your monitor, its settings or driver, your browser
or ??? The diferences are pretty obvious here.

>The trouble is, "playing" with the computer is what I do for a living,
>and I can barely bring myself to look at the thing after hours!

Been there, done that! You have my sympathy.

Moose